Conference lists and relying on them completely as your source of leads is a thing of the past. Buying conference lists as target lists for running campaigns is always an option but it's not always everything it cut out to be. Some of the drawbacks of conference lists are:
- They are a list of potential prospects who attended a conference and not a list of your own ideal target accounts
- The attendees' list of a conference may or may not be the best point of contact for your campaign and although they may be generally relevant to your campaign the key decision maker for your product or service may be in another role
- While if the conference list is very recently most of the data including contact details should be fresh and accurate but dated conference lists sold well after the actual event can have outdated data and may not be as effective in the campaigns
- Unless every company or attendee at that conference is a potential target for your business there is a good chance you will end up paying for data that you don't need in the form of accounts or attendees that are not relevant to your campaigns
- The right conferences don't always happen according to your sales plan and targets so relying on them completely for your lists may not be the best sources to depend on
So the next time you find yourself waiting for the next conference to happen so you can find new contacts to fill up the lead funnel, try a customized list building effort and you may be pleasantly surprised.