Every book on business and best practices emphasize why you should buy only as much as you need and when you need it. Overstocking anything in large quantities much before you are ready to use or process it is a cardinal sin in manufacturing or production practices. No one would dream of splurging budget in advance on piling up stock, most of which will not even end up being used. Then why do it with purchasing business contacts lists for sales or marketing campaigns?
I recently read a great post by Brandon Hull of SalesTeamTools.com titled "Sales Leads: Why Buy 5,000 When You Only Need 50?" which simply resonates the point we drive to our customers as well as other marketers. Build more focused lists of business contacts that you need and 'pay as you go' so that you are not paying for what you don't need or don't need at this point in time. Here are some reasons why it makes sense to take only as much as you need:
- Spending thousands of dollars on an annual subscription to a large database like which have millions of contacts when you may use a few hundred contacts through the year would be paying for something you don't need.
- Investing a sizeable portion of your budget on a large database subscription in advance means you are blocking a part of your budget and you have incurred a cost well before you need to.
- Business contact data is perishable and has a shelf life. Purchasing a large list well before you are ready to run your campaign will be a waste with data going bad while it's waiting and will need to be cleansed before its ready to use again.
- Smaller customized lists tailored for your campaign and have only those contacts you need will help you measure your ROI a lot more clearly and give you better results for your spend.
- By paying for only as many contacts as you need you can control your costs and stretch your lead generation dollars much further by controlling waste
- You break away from the bad habit of trying to pitch to every company out there whether qualified or not just because you have their contact information and start making your campaigns more focussed by acquiring contacts only within accounts that you feel are qualified.
Looking for a dataset?
Get a customized dataset for your next campaign from Ready and save yourself from expensive annual subscriptions :)
"After piloting various data vendors, it was easy to see that ReadyContacts is a cut above."